Jane Burton is featured guest artist on - 'World Famous on ArterNet Art'



Jane Burton

Thanks to Robin Olsen, a recent featured artist on 'WFoANA' for nominating the bright and bubbly Jane Burton to chat with us today on

'World Famous on ArterNet Art'

Jane say's her visual language allows her to go where words can’t, in expressing who she is at her core. 
  'My daily commitment with the canvas before me, is to get out of my head, 
to set thoughts and words aside, and stream feelings directly'.

Using an array of tools beyond brushes... leaves, branches, mops, plastic, knives, wire, and most often, my hands. She loves to experiment and get dirty!

The process is like a piece of music, a walk in the woods; it's a feeling of excitement, empowerment, and a deep connection all mashed together. If I can stay out of my head long enough, the resulting image is fresh, alive, and evocative.

There is a vibration, a communication and energy, that connects everything in this universe, and when I paint I feel alive and connected to that energy.

Nature, spirituality and science inspire my abstract paintings. I strive to create paintings that pull one in from afar, and will inform, change, and challenge in the detail up close.


ArterNet Art: A little note about the culture of our company - ArterNet Art - Online Art Gallery: our aim is to put a human face to all our artist members and featured guest artists.
As part of the process of becoming a professional artist, the idea behind these interviews is two-fold 
  • An opportunity for new, emerging and working artist members of ArterNet Art (ANA) to meet established and inspiring artists, in order to learn more about what drives and motivates them.
  • What were their challenges, their ideals, their twists and turns, etc. And how they overcame their, occasional, limiting beliefs - to push through - to become the successful artist we see today.
So without further ado: Jane, tell us how you came to find your way to becoming an artist?
Jane:
Like most artists, I've been a maker since I was a little kid. I loved to experiment and get dirty doing it.
My degree was in fine art with an emphasis in painting. I had the privilege to study under Wayne Thiebaud, an incredible teacher and human being. 
However, I continued my education and career in graphic design. My career took me to the corporate world where I found myself quickly moving away from the creative and into management.
In 2000, I started to attend several art school classes and workshops. In 2004, I knew it was time to get real, to begin turning away from a world in which I had been successful, and give voice to my true nature. 
I went back full-time to my first love, my true voice.

ArterNet Art: Have you had to overcome any difficulties or major hurdles on your journey to becoming the successful, established artist we see today?

Jane:
Making the initial decision to quit my job and become a full-time artist was difficult at first. Paying for health insurance alone was killing me. 
But I was lucky. I submitted my work to several shows and fairly quickly landed myself a gallery and a solo show in a public space.


ArterNet Art: Well done.   What or who were your early influences?

Jane:
My parents, I guess, where my earliest. My dad was an engineer, but loved to create. He had a workshop where we'd do wood projects, pour plaster moulds, make paper mache forms and paint them. 
 My mom was an art docent at the DeYoung. My favorite was Vincent Van Gogh.

ArterNet Art: Yes, Vincent is also my fave. Tell us about the medium you have chosen to work with and what was it that attracted you to use it?

Jane:
When I originally got back into my art I was a sculptor working in clay creating large figurative work. Clays require a lot of technical knowledge, especially with glaze formulations. 
I was on a ceramic art residency at the Banff Centre in Alberta Canada when I had this huge studio and started painting again. It was so intuitive and freeing. I love painting fast and wild and acrylics offer the quick drying. I also use a lot of inks, charcoal, graphite, water-soluble crayons and oil sticks.


ArterNet Art: Do you have a daily routine? Has it always been this way and can you tell our readers how your day looks?

Jane:
  My highest energy level is in the morning. My mind is empty of all the activities of the day. So I try to get in the studio first thing. I wish I could say it was every morning, but life gets in the way sometimes. 
I try to keep the business tasks for the end of the day.


ArterNet Art: It's always interesting to see how other artist's work. Can you share some insights into your process from conception to creation.

Jane:
Usually I to stay out of my head and channel emotions, allowing my body to react to the marks, movement, texture and color. There are times when I will paint specific feelings or possibly a dream I had.

Since I work large, I will often start on the floor, or push pin a huge piece of canvas on the wall. Sometimes I place a color down first over the entire canvas.
Charcoal and graphite mark making tend to go down early. I love doing blind contours of nature, flowers or the human body. I feel that when you start from life, your work will have life. I will set the marks with fixative or heavy matte gel.


Step One

Step Two
Step Three

Final

Often I come in with huge brushes at this point, creating some large, spontaneous forms.
Alternating with different size brushes, or my hands, I will dip into two or three colors at once to create a variegated stroke. I find taping my brushes on the end of a dowel allows me to create interesting, uncontrolled, and unexpected marks.
The hardest stage is when your gut is telling you that it may be close to done. Then you have to decide. 
Do I push it further, or do I stop. And if I push it further what area of the painting is bothering me. Accessing from your gut is not always easy. I've been training myself to be aware of the difference between my body speaking, and all my art training speaking.


ArterNet Art: How has your work developed since you began and how do you see it evolving in the future?

Jane:
I look back on my initial work and see that they are much shallower, not as many layers, depth or texture that is in my current work.

Now, I invite in the muted/muddy colors and unusual passages.
Now I embrace the oddities. 
Now, I leave spontaneous areas and don't go in fiddling with the painting. I listen to my gut, to my heart, instead of all the rules I learned early on.


ArterNet Art: Is there anything in particular that inspires you to create art?

Jane:
It's like a drug. It's the high I get when I'm totally immersed in the muse and can't tell you how I created something. It's my spiritual connection. It's about energy, vibration, and connectivity.

ArterNet Art: What has been your favourite or most memorable art sale?

Jane: I have many. I refer to all my sculptures and paintings as “my girls”.
I guess the girls are in my care until they get adopted out. 
My favorite thing to do is to see where my girls end up. If I can meet the collectors, even better.

'Last Dance'   48 x  64

ArterNet Art: How have you and your art business been impacted by Covid-19? Has much changed since that time?

Jane:
Greatly. Both negatively and positively. Five of the seven galleries that represented my work physically closed their doors for good during Covid. 
On the positive side, I gained a few new galleries that I love and worked on on my Instagram account and other marketing tools. The best thing that came out of Covid for me was a strong community of artists from all over the world.
I took some amazing 8 week or longer online workshops and developed lifelong friends.


ArterNet Art: Going back to when you first started out and knowing what you know now, what would you do differently and what advice would you give to an aspiring new artist?

Jane:
Take a lot of different classes and workshops. Experiment all the time. Don't compare yourself with other artists. If you find something that really excites you, stick with it for a while, explore it, write about it. 
That excitement is revealing your voice. 
Be fearless and don't treat your work as precious. Have fun!
 
'Carnival' 30" x 50"

ArterNet Art: Also for our new artists, can you share some tips on how you marketed yourself, when you first started out. What are one or two things you tried that worked amazingly well?

Jane:
A strong, cohesive website is important, as well as social media. I built up my CV, and procured gallery representation by entering tons of shows and attending openings. I produced books of my work for the galleries to give to those who collected my art.

ArterNet Art: What plans and goals do you have for the future, both creatively and personally? Then ultimately, if all the stars aligned, what do you see as your end game? ( I know, most people get taken aback when they are confronted with this question, but I believe it's one we should all think about at some stage)

Jane:
I love to teach and I'm working on a mentoring program. My studio is in the process of quadrupling in size; I'll be able to create even larger work, have the freedom to paint on several pieces at once, and to really move around.

My end game? I guess it's to know I've given back by encouraging, supporting, and promoting other artists. 
And, that I've been authentic in my relationship and in my art.


ArterNet Art: Great answer, Jane. Tell us about any hobbies you may have, sports or interests other than art?

Jane
: I love hiking, yoga, skiing, and traveling.

ArterNet Art: Do you have any quotes you live by or practice daily?

Jane:
My mission statement: 
To be wild, fearless and authentic. 
To encourage, allow, 
and trust the source from which it came.

ArterNet Art: Well, Jane it's been such a pleasure to learn about you and your art practice. Thank you so much - I know our artist members and other artists will be inspired and will take your words of wisdom into their daily art practice also.

You can find out more about Jane, her work and 
follow her here on Instagram:


Jane's website


Jane and Lucy


<><><><>

To be a featured guest artist on 

'World Famous on ArterNet Art' :

Apply by sending in a submission -

or you can be nominated, or you are invited by ANA.

Send your submission or if you know of a worthy artist email: info@arternetart.com


<><><><>

Did you know that for around a dollar per day - 

you can have your OWN online art gallery - 

where you won't pay any commission on your art sales!

Become a member of ANA today!



Comments

Popular Posts